Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sleeping with the enemy...

So my local rec center isn't working out so well... there are lots of little gripes, the place is badly laid out, inadequate facilities and the lack of background music. However the biggest problem are the packs of middle age women that permanently seem present getting "personal training".

There are continual groups of at least six middle age women getting "personal training". Unfortunately rather than working in with each other the same trainer gets each to use 2-3 different pieces of equipment before rotating the group to use what the other one was, so taking over most of the gym. I try to train at an off-peak time (10AM on a weekday) yet still the undersized free weight section is littered with bouncy balls, trip sticks (aerobic weights) and groups of people having a friendly chat with their trainer - whilst their sweat towel and weights are left out on the equipment you want to use.

So you say cut in with these people, firstly if you don't grab them the second they switch to the other equipment they claim to be using they wander off so you have no clue whose sweat towel is in your way. If you miss them - short of dumping their stuff on the floor - you have to wait five minutes to identify whose stuff is in your way. Secondly if you ask them if you mind if you cut in with them, they look blankly at you, then go talk to their trainer to decipher the gym terminology whilst you are left waiting for an answer, cooling down when you want to be lifting. Oh and did I mention the stink, this is a place you go to sweat, deal with it, shower before and afterwards but don't drench yourself in so much acrid perfume the rest of the gym can't breathe.

The net result is I'm going to try out the local corporate gym a "lifetime fitness". I have previously ranted about these places so you know my general attitude. However it is the only other nearby gym I've so far found and the membership only requires one month cancelation (immediate with refund if within the first 30 days). Now the free weight section is adequate with free plates, Olympic bars, power cages, a plate load T-bar row, cable crossover and a leg press rated for 1100lbs but not great, they only have dumbbells up to 110lbs, the pin load lat machine only does 200lbs and the benches and dumbbells are miles away from the cages.

We (my wife and I) have the grand tour today, I plan on going back tomorrow and trying out the place in anger. My biggest problem is it all seems very clean to me, too clean and I don't want the fancy place to distract me from lifting. I previously trained in a semi-converted industrial unit with tones of real steel, no changing rooms and serious regulars who workout in ex-army boots. I fear this warm cushy environment will make me soft and distract me from the real business - lifting. Whilst I don't want or need 95% of this place at least it doesn't look like the women's institute have taken over the free weight section for a social...

No comments:

Post a Comment